You are here


  • What is CM/ECF?

    Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) is the automated case management and electronic docketing system for U. S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Texas. CM/ECF provides an easy-to-use electronic case filing feature that makes it easy for you to file and view court documents over the Internet.

  • Can you remove an opinion from the website? It has my name, and it occurred a long time ago.

    Sorry, we cannot remove any opinions. Opinions, orders, documents, party information, claims and other case information are public records.

  • How can I get the duplicate fee refunded if I accidentally file a pleading twice?

    When a pleading is erroneously filed in duplicate, the filer should send an email to "" listing the debtor(s) name, case number, attorney name, fee amount and reason why the fee should be refunded.

  • How do I get the Bankruptcy removed from my credit report?

    Credit Reports and Bankruptcy Records


    The Bankruptcy Court has no jurisdiction over credit reporting agencies.  The Bankruptcy Court does not subscribe to any service with credit reporting agencies, does not report records with any credit reporting agency, nor does the Bankruptcy Court have statutory authority to effect change to accurate public records related to a bankruptcy case.  The bankruptcy court only responds to inquiries about credit reporting if a self addressed stamped envelope is included with the correspondence mailed to the court.  Correspondence mailed to the court without a self addressed stamped envelope will not receive a response.

    Bankruptcy cases are a matter of public record and may be accessed through the Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system ( ). PACER is an electronic public access system that allows any user to obtain case information from federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts.

    The Fair Credit Reporting Act, 6 U.S.C. Section 605, is the law that governs credit reporting agencies. The law states that credit reporting agencies may not report a bankruptcy case on a person's credit report after ten years from the date the bankruptcy case is filed. Other bad credit information is removed after seven years.

    You may contact the Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Education Division, Washington, D.C. 20580. The telephone number is (202) 326-2222. That office can provide further information on reestablishing credit and addressing credit problems. For information on credit practices, contact (202) 326-3224.

  • When filing electronically, what should be done if the document needing to be filed is not listed in the pick list?

    Run the event search option from the main menu to find the document most closely related to what you are trying to file. Only after exhausting this search would you select a generic event, i.e. generic motion. If you still have questions, please call the Clerk's Office for assistance

  • How should I submit Chapter 13 plan payments?

    Plan payments may only be made to the Chapter 13 Trustee assigned to your case, and are not accepted at the Bankruptcy Clerk's office.

    For Tyler/Marshall divisions and Beaumont/Lufkin divisions:
    Carey Ebert
    P.O. Box 734
    Tyler, TX 75710
    phone 903-593-7777

    For Sherman/Texarkana divisions:
    Standing Chapter 13 Trustee
    Carey D. Ebert
    P.O. Box 628
    Tyler, TX 75710
    phone: 972-943-2580

  • How may I obtain a certified copy of a document?

    You may obtain a certified copy of a document from the Bankruptcy Clerk's office in any division (Beaumont, Plano or Tyler). Please check the fee schedule for certification and copy fees. You may also submit a written request by mail, accompanied by the required fees per document requested and a self-addressed stamped envelope. Payment must be in the form of cash, cashier's check or money order.  If the request is made by an attorney, payment may be made with a check drawn from the account of the attorney or by debit or credit card of an attorney authorized by the Court.

  • Do you accept faxed filings or transmit faxed copies?


  • If I am an individual debtor, how long after filing bankruptcy will I be issued a discharge?

    Individual Chapter 7 debtors are eligible to receive a Chapter 7 discharge at the expiration of the period for a party to file a complaint objecting to the entry of such a discharge. Such complaint must be filed no later than 60 days following the first date set for the first meeting of creditors (generally speaking, about 120 days after the filing of the case) however, the period may be extended by the Court for cause on the motion of any party in interest and after hearing on notice.
    At the end of the 60-day period or as may be extended by the Court beyond such date, the Court will issue an order granting the debtor a discharge unless: the debtor is not an individual, a complaint objecting to the discharge has been filed, the debtor has filed a waiver of discharge under §727(a)(10), or a motion to dismiss pursuant to §707(b) is pending. For all individuals filing for Chapter 7 relief on or after October 17, 2005, completion of an instructional course in personal financial management is also required.
    The entry of a discharge order, however, does not preclude the Court from subsequently determining the dischargeability of a particular debt if a creditor has timely requested such a determination.
    For Chapter 13 debtors, the Court grants the discharge as soon as practicable after the debtor completes all payments under a confirmed Chapter 13 plan and creditors have been given an opportunity to object.