The information presented here is accurate as of the date of posting. However, it should not be cited or relied upon as legal authority. It should not be used as a substitute for reference to the United States Bankruptcy Code (Title 11, United States Code) and the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, both of which may be reviewed at local law libraries, or to local rules of practice adopted by each bankruptcy court. Finally, this information should not substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.
What is Bankruptcy?
The information found in this section serves as a general guideline to bankruptcy procedures and was written for use nationwide. The Eastern District of Texas may not follow every procedure exactly as described here. The local rules may contain slight variations and should be consulted for specific issues.
- Bankruptcy Basics and video
Form B 2010 - Notice to Individual Consumer Debtor
- Please review this form for a definition of the different bankruptcy chapters
- What you need to know about filing without an attorney
Before You File
- Do I Need an Attorney?
- Dallas Bar Association "LegalLine" free answers to legal questions
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas - provides free legal advice to low income residents in Texas counties throughout North and West Texas.
- LoneStar Legal Aid - provides free legal advice to low income clients. Offices are available in Beaumont, and Tyler
- U.S. Trustee Approved Credit Counseling Providers
- IRS National Standards for Allowable Living Expenses
- Contacting a Judge
When You File
More Filing Information
- Eastern District of Texas Local Rules
- Bankruptcy Forms
- Application to Pay Filing Fee in Installments (NOTE: Only if not able to pay the fee in full)
Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived
- Please note that income must be less than 150% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Means Testing - required for completing 122A Forms and 122C Forms
- What your signature means
- Where Do I File?
- Creditor Matrix Instructions (This document will explain how to complete a creditor matrix)
After You File
- What do I do if I am an individual debtor and received a notice of missing documents?
- U.S. Trustee Approved Financial Management Course Providers
- When will I recieve a discharge?
Frequently Asked Questions